Muhammad Jafaar, commissioner of health in Kebbi, says the state has recorded its first casualty from COVID-19.
The state has confirmed just two cases of the disease.
Speaking to journalists on Saturday, Jafaar said the victim was the second COVID-19 case recorded in Kebbi.
He said the victim, a 60-year-old man, was brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital (UDTH) Sokoto into the state.
Jafaar said the patient was discovered at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi to be diabetic and hypertensive before contracting the disease.
“This is the second index case,” he said.
“He was a 60-year-old man brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital, Sokoto by a relative to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Birnin Kebbi, where he was receiving treatment for diabetes and hypertension.
“While in the FMC, a consultant was invited and COVID-19 was suspected and our response team was called in. Sample was collected from the patient on 25 April.
“Before the patient was taken to the isolation centre, he died on April 26. On April 29, the result of the test turned positive of COVID-19.
“From then, our contacts tracing team swung into actions and traced 12 closed contacts and 17 other contacts.
“All samples have been collected and sent to the laboratory for testing,”
Jafaar said the management of UDUTH, Sokoto had been contacted and working together with Kebbi’s COVID-19 task force to curtail the spread of the virus.
The commissioner asked residents of the state to remain calm, and assured them that the state had received technical support from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on the case management.
Kebbi announced the first index case of COVID-19 in the state on April 26.
The patient is a 40-year-old man with a travel history to Lagos state.